Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back from Georgia

Finished Joshilyn Jackson's Between, Georgia this morning. This is the novel I almost completed in the hours I spent in the emergency room on Wednesday. It's a book you can gobble up enthusiastically in one sitting, sort of like Thanksgiving dinner, especially since Ms. Jackson's plot is about Southern families. (Nicely juxtaposed with finishing Arkansas Traveler.)

The story is clever in that not only the main character, Nonny, is "between" sweethearts, mothers, places to live, but so are most of the other people in the story. I don't know if you'll feel you have a sense of learning more about Georgia, specifically, given our geographic to do list, but you won't be disappointed in the book.

1 comment:

  1. As usual, I didn't get the "between" connection until Mercy pointed it out. She has a real knack for picking up on things that are good observations but not obvious for the more common ( e.g., less astute) reader. Between, Georgia is a good read; there were times I found myself laughing out loud. Not being a reader of Southern lit it's not clear to me about how unique or typical this is. Does every small Southern town have a disproportionate share of crazies? I liked the fact that some of them were actually quite literate and liberal. This is a fun book and it'd be nice if the author had more Nonny Frett adventures. She's a real gem. I'm also, like Mercy, not sure how much of this gives me the flavor of Georgia as much as it gives me the flavor of small towns with lots of beneath the surface messiness.

    ReplyDelete