Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Don't Know Much Biology

I loved biology, back in its infancy it seems from the 1950s and 60s.  So much of  what is summarized in Sam Kean's essays in The Violinist's Thumb recap discoveries that accelerated after I finished drawing one celled animals with my beautiful colored pencils for extra credit.  I picked up this book as Kean's latest ... I was much more interested in reading is Disappearing Spoon which I am still either savoring or slogging through.  At least that one has inspired me to make up new names for fallacious elements ... a parlor game to take over Botacelli?

The book is fine, but nothing more special than leafing through back issues of Science in the labs downstairs at work, except for an occasional groaning pun.  I only turned down one corner to refer to in a review, and that was the effect of environmental factors on sperm and the risk for disease passed on to children from exposure to chemicals, either accidental or intentional bad habits.  Why does science take so long to validate old wives' tales and myths and hunches. 

I really will have more so say about spoon, simply because like taking Bayesian statistics and then understanding univariate, this book would have helped me get a better mark in Regents chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment