Thursday, January 17, 2013

Off to an Unsatisfying Start

My idea for selecting books this year is to pick one word and find a book that fits it.  This is a mediocre substitute for my original idea of reading books with only one word in their titles.  So, whatever word I searched, the first book I finished this year is Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes? by Jena Pincott.  In a sense it is a reprise of 2011 lust list, its subtitle being Bodies, Behavior and Brains -- The Science Behind Sex, Love and Attraction.

Pincott's structure is based on almost 100 questions and answers, the questions are those asked at every girl's pajama party and every woman's coffee klatch.  The answer are larded with "scientific" evidence from studies at various universities.  Because the book is only 308 pages long, each question receives concise or short shrift.  The entire thing reminds me of dealing browsing on the health or science section of Yahoo news.  Sound bites, nothing really thought provoking, almost ephemeral. 

The only thing that surprised me was back to my six degrees of separation game ... Pincott cites one experiment that employed the Nash equilibrium and I have been plodding through A Beautiful Mind for months. 

The pile of books on the nightstand hopefully will provide more thoughtful reading.  My search for lobster has linked me to a book about Maine-iacs and I have others on fame and fashion.  For the sake of my compulsion to alphabetize, I'll reference the subject of this treatise as "Attraction."

No comments:

Post a Comment