Monday, April 15, 2013

Aah, My Idea of One Word Books for 2013

There is a woman author named Mary Roach who has been writing one word humorous science books about bodily functions.  I heard about her when I read a review about her latest, Gut, about the human intestinal tract.  I want to read this instead of making an appointment for a colonoscopy.  So that book is on reserve and meanwhile I read Bonk about well sex.  Seems like my lust list keeps going on and on.

Roach brings back my bias that the Irish have a wonderful gift of language and humor.  I left out loud when Roach compared a certain adapted stimulating machine to a buffing shoe shiner.  A lot of her recounting of early 20th century scientific experiments were flash backs to my lust list reading but her perspective is more an SNL or Mad magazine take.

As I mentioned in my review of Bel Canto, I am typing this while watching the endless loop of the Boston Marathon bombing.  All else pales and I won't even be writing this except I want the books returned tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment