Sunday, November 30, 2014

Five Days at Saint Peter's

No wait, it was only seven hours in the ER and the only power that was lost was Don's ability to perambulate.  He woke up Saturday morning in extreme pain and could not put any weight on his right foot.  His knee was swollen and red and he self-diagnosed as either gout or an infection and wanted to go to open hours at his GP.  After struggling to get him out of the house, through the driveway ice and snow and into the car, John and I decided take him to the hospital where they could get immediate (in hospital time of course) results of lab tests.  First no bacteria indicating Lyme Disease, never got the results of the uric acid test, and it was going on 3PM before the ortho drained out the joint and bursa.  Discharged with narcs and meds and crutches.

So once again, my uninterrupted reading time was in the emergency room where I started and almost finished Tina Fey's Bossypants.  If you're going to be stressed out and imagining the worst, get distracted with this book.  Skip the accolades in front and the inane book club discussion questions in the back.  You really won't snort liquids you intended to swallow through your nose or need to grab someone to list out your favorite SNL skits, but I did giggle occasionally and wanted to read random quotes to my faithful son on ER duty with me.

I liked her analysis of what live skills she learned from improvisation, probably the same life skills a deliberate, thinking middle-ager would reach from any reflection on what works best with superiors and subordinates at work.

I got this book in a box of paperbacks my daughter in law brought with her for Thanksgiving from Texas where her mother proof reads pre-publication manuscripts.  So I'll end with my favorite quote:  "I know why you bought this book.  Or should I say, I know why you borrowed this book from that woman at your office."  Guess what's going to work with me tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment