Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Last Post of the Day, a Novel

I think I've mentioned before that my daughter-in-law's mother is a book editor and when my DIL comes north, she usually brings me a collection of books her mom has reviewed prior to print.

I think Sourdough by Robin Sloan falls into this pre-publication category.  When not reading history or science these past eighteen months or so, I would lapse into stories about food.  Most of these books were gimmicky, as is Sourdough which is a combination of San Francisco chef hero-worship and Egger's sci fi futurism from The Circle.

It is a bit reminiscent of the book I read about the guy from the Hudson Valley who compulsively made a loaf of bread every day trying to make the perfect one.  Her the heroine stumbles into obtaining a mysterious sour dough starter that not only sings to her but one that always bakes the exact same face like crust.  So the author tries to add to her book plot/recipe so it appeals to foodies, murder mystery fans and sci fi fiends.

The imagined cutting edge food market along the SF bay literally explodes when the minimalist/chemists steal the organic microbes and the place blows up "like a giant panetone."  Come on.  Just a dash of humor.  And finally spice with RomCom, having the heroine find her true love, an email émigré who used to deliver her take out orders.

This book is like the buffet at 99, don't eat there, don't read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment