Monday, August 13, 2018

Do 365 Bad Days Make a Bad Book?

A couple of years ago, I read a book by a couple of Brits who put together a compendium of what famous event occurred or which famous person was born for every day of the year.  They profiled one such event/person but also listed other contenders.  They seemed to focus most on European history, but all cultures and places showed up on one day or another.

So I figured the opposite would work:  Bad Days in History by Michael Farquhar … not.  Farquhar had had to struggle to find something awful 365 distinct times and his badness ranges from the March 2, 2001 desecration of Buddhist temples by the Taliban to the mediocre opening of Disneyland in California on July 17, 1955.  The gamut of "bad" is way too broad.  I guess one man's "bad" is another man's "blah."

At least the book made me wrack my brain before I fell to sleep for the past couple of nights to drag out from my memory those worst days in my life.  Perhaps it is my "golden" age that makes the perspective of looking back decide that nothing was that awful.  That includes two cancer diagnoses, car accidents, kitchen stove fires, husband losing his job, son getting divorced.  That's life and not really anything that would make newspaper headlines.

I was going to illustrate the mediocrity of his gimmicks to find something that occurred today, or on  my birthday but the were so banal, I won't bother.  (Again this was the other book I purchased in a gift shop (remember those not really notorious women) and pledge never to do that foolish, bad thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment