Monday, December 31, 2012

Shamed into a Similar Retrospective Assessment

I know this is a venue for book reviews, but my darling daughter-in-law has used these questions to reflect on the passing year and I've decided it would do my psyche benefit to answer the following self-assessments:

  1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before? Got a concussion, ah me and Ms. Hillary if that is what happened to her instead of "a gash, a rash and purple bumps."
  2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? No, my resolutions are public, to wit, the Slackers' 2012 book list which really needs a do-over for 2013.
  3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Unfortunately, no.
  4. Did anyone close to you die? Fortunately, no.
  5. What countries did you visit? Texas! (This is a copy and paste from my DIL.
  6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012? A Triple Crown winner.
  7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why? Of course, Bill and Em's wedding and probably Labor Day, the day of the great fall.
  8. What was your biggest achievement of this year? Getting kudos at work and an early confirmation of continued employment in 2013.
  9. What was your biggest failure? Letting too many old friends fade away without keeping in more frequent correspondence.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?   Well, duh, the blessedly awful fall.  At least the scars are minimal, I didn't get a blood clot, and I had my family to get me to the ER quickly.
  11. What was the best thing you bought? Two gorgeous emerald rings.
  12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Getting at least one tree up for Thanks-mas and all of the presents wrapped, the goose bought and cooked.
  13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?   One woman at work who is losing it, aggressively attacking someone I am trying to mentor and develop.  That woman is jealous.
  14. Where did most of your money go? E-bay
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The grand wedding in Texas, bringing my menfolk with me and Cookie coming as well.
  16. What songs will always remind you of 2012? Not really songs per se, but Carlos Santana at SPAC and Tedeschi Trucks at the Palace.
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?  I am definitely happier, 7 pounds heavier, and depending on the market, a tad less well off.
  18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Gone out for dinner, movies, coffee with my girlfriends.
  19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Wasting time at work.
  20. How did you spend Christmas? We had two holidays, the Texas and the Delmar versions.  Both were special.  Although the food for the Texas celebration was much better.
  21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Of course.
  22. What was your favorite TV program? Since I really don't watch TV, I was unexpectedly surprised to discover The Midwife on PBS.
  23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?  No, my political dislikes became more entrenched.
  24. What was the best book you read?  Several:  Fahrenheit 451, Closing of the American Mind, Intellectuals and Society, and The Phantom Tollbooth. 
  25. What was your greatest musical discovery?  When we went to the Brandenburg Concerti last New Year's Day, I actually recognized most of them.
  26. What did you want and get? Loved, adored, and cherished.
  27. What did you want and not get? More of the above.
  28. What was your favorite film of 2012? Hysteria.
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?  Never ask a lady this question.
  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? See 27 above.
  31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012? Jersey dresses, over the knee boots, and Lutens, Lutens, Lutens.
  32. What kept you sane? A dark quiet room at night and a warm puppy on my head.
  33. Who did you miss? Too many close people live in other states.
  34. Who was the best new person you met?  My boss.
  35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.   Eventually, there will be someone who recognizes you for what you considered to be your core values and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment