Sunday, December 23, 2012

Success

Not that I actually read Go Down Moses, but I did find it in the back seat of the Sebring in a cloth market bag so I could get back the $15 lost book fine I paid last week.  And I got through two movies this weekend.  First I needed just to make sense of Eco's Name of the Rose.  Of course the movie cut, cut, cut, but Eco larded his novel -- I realized, almost the equivalent of an illustrated medieval manuscript.  Layer upon layer, requiring not only an in depth understanding of 14th Century order factions, the Franciscans, the Benedictines, the two popes, the Inquistioners, but also his most Italian overlay of honorable doubt and love of the Classics.  The movie does reaffirm the messages I was left with after all the ornateness:  Live in one's brain; Laugh at oneself, one's biases, life itself; and trust the ancient Greeks and Romans for their understanding of man and his place in the world.

Of course, it is easy to look at Sean Connery, wrinkled of brow and shaved bald, but still of the sparkling eyes and iconic ironic wit.  Christian Slater was Aldo, so young, so short.

Also finally watched a movie that a fellow at work recommended highly, especially when he teases me about my impractical, snow unworthy winter foot wear:  Kinky Boots.  It was a great movie, Rich was right.  He is our affirmative action officer at work and I'm sure he wants all of us to endorse the tolerance and understanding illustrated in the movie, but a beautiful human story, lots of pain but lots of personal successes.  The other DVD I picked up today was Bridges of Madison County, which is a year late for my lust list of 2011.

Anyway, the days are getting longer and hopefully so is my powers of concentration to read more avidly and loyally.  The pile next to the bed is getting taller and my resolve a bit more firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment